Sunday, June 24, 2012

More than Just a Kayaking Trip

Kayaking the Pocomoke River

It had been awhile since I last went kayaking, but all of the memories of why I loved to do it hit me once we hit the open water.  Floating still out in the open water gave me the most satisfaction, and it is something I feel every time I kayak.  The feeling of being out there doesn’t overwhelm me, but rather it just gives me peace of mind having just the lake and me living in the moment. 
            “The touch of the sea is sensuous, enfolding the body in its soft, close embrace.” Describing the way water feels is difficult, but Chopin really hits the nail on the head with this quote.  This quote from the Awakening is used to help describe Edna, her feelings of the cultural divide and her struggle to find out who she away from all of the oppression.  The cultural divide is something I feel when I submerge my hand and disconnect from all of the stresses of life.  The water isn’t rough or intense; it just wraps itself around you, welcoming you. 
            All of the things going through one’s head can settle once they behold the awesome beauty of what always was and will hopefully always be.  By seeing the turtles and other animals going about their business, it simplifies life, and creates a deep appreciation of the intricacies of nature.  All of the trees swaying their branches to the wind gave a cool settling feeling as it helped to guide our kayaks through a world often forgotten.  The sight of the docks as we came around the last bend really spoiled the trip.  It was an inevitable end to our journey, and how I long to be back out there describing it in this reflection.  It’s a world that doesn’t scrutinize you, demand anything of you, or ask what tomorrow’s plans are; instead it asks you to take a break and enjoy living in that moment of time.    By Andy Dixon

No comments:

Post a Comment